Friday, June 6, 2014

Are We There Yet?

Before starting the last leg of our trip home, we had to go to the Museum of the United States Air Force! And it was well worth it! I could have spent the entire day in the 3 giant hangars, but we only had a couple hours to spare. 

The museum started from the very beginning in the early 1900s with Wilbur and Orville Wright and went all the way to present day (not exactly present day, but there was an F-22 in the museum!). My favorite hangar was probably the WWII hangar. That's where Jay Zeamer's memorabilia was, which I thought was awesome! Also, all the planes were super cool and amazing!!! One of the neatest things was the Doolittle Raiders toast goblets. There are only 4 remaining Doolittle Raiders alive and they took their last toast last year. That was an amazing sight to see! 

While we were in the museum, I met 2 USAF enlisted retirees. They were very nice and congratulatory when they found out I had just graduated from the Academy. They had advice and well wishes for me as I started my career in the Air Force. It was very inspiring and encouraging to meet and talk to them. 

It was a fun and awesome stop before finishing the trip home. Here are a few pictures from the last day of traveling! 



Outside the museum in the memorial park...F-22s in the Missing Man formation.

We found mom's airplane...Fiery Ginger! 

A picture of Robin Olds's F-4 that I took for my favorite 2011 USAFA grads, Trevor Lockhart and Courtney Schaer. Their exemplar is Robin Olds. 

A new addition for my keychain!! 

That's all for the last day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment